Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Genesis 14

Scripture:  Genesis chapter 14

Observation:  This chapter is an exciting one.  There is war, between the kings of Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, Zeboiim and Bela, against the kings of Shinar, Ellasar, Elam and Tidal king of nations.  Five against four, but the four come out ahead, and the kings of Sodom, Gomorrah and the rest flee.  The four nations take everything they can plunder, including Lot and all his goods.  One man escapes and tells Abram what has happened to his nephew.  Abram organizes an army of 318 of his own servants, divides them and attacks Lot's captors, bringing his nephew and all the stolen goods and people home.  King Melchizedek, king of Salem and high priest, blesses Abram for his courage, and offers to give him all the goods that were brought back, but Abram refuses, saying he promised the Lord that he would take nothing, and requested only food for those who had helped him.

Application:  Abram is the kind of man I want on my side!  He showed great bravery in saving Lot and all the other people.  But it's obvious that he had consulted with the Lord and had received instruction from Him.  What impressed me the most was his refusal to accept any kind of reward for himself.  Abram knew that it was the Lord who had triumphed, and he wasn't about to take any of God's glory away.  What an excellent example of humility and honor we receive from this great man of God!

Prayer:  That is my prayer today Father, that in all things I would strive to give You the glory and take none for myself.  Who am I without You?  I can do nothing on my own.  You have all the power, and You deserve all the glory and praise for everything that happens in my life.  May Your Holy Name be praised forever!  In Your Holy Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment