Thursday, October 4, 2012

Genesis 45

Scripture:  Genesis 45:16-28

Observation:  Pharaoh hears that Joseph's brothers have come, and he is pleased.  He tells Joseph to get his animals and go to the land of Canaan to bring back his father and the rest of the family.  And so Joseph gives his brothers silver and new clothes, though he gives a larger share to his youngest brother Benjamin.  When they reach Jacob and tell him that his son Joseph is alive, he faints.  He doesn't believe them until they tell him everything Joseph has said.  When he hears about Joseph and sees all that has been sent to bring him to Egypt, he is convinced Joseph is alive, and he is determined to see his son before he dies.

Application:  A picture of Christ is seen in the love and forgiveness Joseph extends to his brothers.  Jesus expects that same kind of love from each of us:  "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:35).  Joseph held no grudge; instead he gave generously to his brothers and sent them off telling them not to quarrel or be troubled.  Jesus sends us off with the same command:  to love one another, and to be forgiving.

Prayer:  Father, sometimes our brothers and sisters in Christ offend us, hurt us, and it's difficult to forgive those that have caused us pain.  Then I read this story of Joseph, who could have been mean to his brothers after they'd treated him so cruelly, yet he forgave them.  I know that You have forgiven me for my transgressions as well.  Help me to see my brethren the way You see them, and forgive them when they offend me, just as You have forgiven my multitude of offenses.  Remove from me any anger or unforgiveness so that You may be glorified because of the love You have taught me.  In Christ Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment