Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Luke 18, Part 1

Scripture: Luke 18:1-8

Observation: The Parable of the Widow and the Unjust Judge. Jesus tells of a widow who wanted justice, but the judge she went to neither feared God nor respected people. The woman doesn't give up; she keeps coming back with her request. She is known as a nagging widow, because she won't leave the judge in peace. For some time the judge resists; but finally the judge sees that she gets jusstice, so that she won't wear him out. Basially she has been getting on his nerves, and justice is served to be rid of her. Jesus applies this picture to prayer: we are to ask continually, and our God, who is just, will respond, moreso than an unjust judge.

Application: God doesn't need our prayers. He already knows what we want and what we need. Prayer, like justice for the widow, is for our benefit. It teaches us to trust in God and seek Him first, and never give up. God wants our prayers. He is just and will bring justice if we ask for it.

Prayer: Father, Your Word says You want to hear from me. Little me, one in a million voices, yet important to You. And how many times don't I forget to come to You first in prayer! I forget to trust in You and begin to trust in myself, till I realize my way isn't the best way. Take over my life completely Lord. May I trust You and come to You in prayer for everything in my life. In Christ Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment