Thursday, August 20, 2009

Luke 18, Part 2

Scripture: Luke 18:9-14

Observation: The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. Jesus targets those "who trust in themselves that they are righteous" (v. 9). Both men are in the temple to pray; the Pharisee's prayer consists of thanking God because he is such a righteous man who does much work for God. The Pharisee even points to how much better he is than the tax collector. The tax collector's prayer is humble, asking for mercy and recognizing himself as a sinner. Jesus evaluates both prayers, and claims the tax collector as going home justified, "for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exaled." (v.14)

Application: The teaching here is about pride verses humility. The Pharisee didn't honor God with his prayer, he just pointed out how righteous he thought himself to be. He was trusing himself rather than trusting God. We are reminded in this parable that God sees us all equal: sinners in need of a Savior, which He sent because of His mercy and grace, not because of anything we've done or could do.

Prayer: Father, I love You and love all You've done for me. I could never bring about my own salvation, and You knew this. That's why You sent Jesus, because we can't redeem ourselves. We are sinners. To trust in myself would be foolish; yet whow many times have I done it? Please help me see my place in Your divine plan and to trust in You alone, not in myself (Proverbs 3:5-6). In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment